The Upper Crust !! April 07 2020
With food on our mind and time on our hands here's our easy peasy lockdown basic bread recipe. This is a great simple recipe if you've never made bread before, or have kids in the house that need entertaining and feeding !
We have played around with several flavours and we have to say so far it has been a great success. Its smells divine as it comes out of the oven, a real "hygge" feeling of cosiness and comfort and of course it tastes delicious eaten warm with lashings of melting butter and homemade soup. Give it a go and let us know how you get on, you'll probably find some of your own variations to share with us too.
500g White Plain Flour (or wholemeal)
325ml Tepid Water
1 Tablespoon Sunflower Oil
1 Teaspoon Dried Yeast
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1. Weigh out the flour in to a large bowl, then add in the dried yeast, salt and sugar. and combine together.
2. Add the water and oil, mixing thoroughly until the dough comes together.
3. Knead well for a good 5 minutes until a smooth ball of dough is formed.
4. Shape and place on baking tray with baking paper or place in a greased loaf tin, I have to admit we liked the rustic look of not using a tin. (we used sunflower oil to lightly grease the tin)
5. Cover and place in a warm area to rise for 40 mins.
6. Then bake in a pre heated oven for 40 mins (ours is a fan oven, your times may vary depending on your oven type)
Experiment with your own versions, the above is for a plain white loaf, the wholemeal version is particularly delicious. We've added olives and sun dried tomatoes for a mediterranean taste, and love the combination dried onion flakes and a little smoked sea salt. Which went perfectly with homemade roasted sweet pepper soup.
Give it a go !
and if you have a recipe to share, please let us know.